Tuesday, April 13, 2010

April doce

So here I am, seven out of ten months completed, 3 more months to go in RADICAL JOURNEY: IMMERSION. It isn’t quite as intense as it sounds, although I do feel pretty BA when I say it.

I’m back in Decesiones, fighting for the young, impressionable minds of Paraguay, educating them on how to approach their sexuality. Or not me per say but rather working as a gear in the automobile that is Decesiones. I’m a little frustrated though, because right now, all this gear is doing is putting in student info in a large database. Very repetitive. But fear not, dear reader, I am pushing for change, pushing for greater responsibilities. For example, I put on my gardener’s gloves (figuratively) and volunteered to do a little landscaping because, well, the arbustos (bushes) and pasto (grass) were getting a little out of hand. It was a nice change of pace. But it's a balance between, doing what the organization needs me to do, and doing something that I get fulfillment and enjoyment out of. I really want to help out... I want to understand what service means, but if that means sitting in front of a computer all day typing up cool things like people’s e-mail addresses and six last names... sometimes, yeah. what if I don’t like that? Am I really 'doing God's work? well it sure isn't glamorous... (and yeah, I think what God wants us to do rarely is glamorous) While I’m committed to helping out with the database to the best of my ability, I’m also asking about other ways in which I can help at my service location. That’s my conclusion... or at least my shortened, simplified blog edited conclusion.

Exciting things are happening though. Rose, Jono and I have started a stellar English class every Monday night, and all the students are cool, and motivated to learn. It’s pretty basic, but we have good times and I think we’re advancing quite nicely. We did the whole family tree bit last night. It was pretty good, though I think I caught Jono off-guard when I talked about marrying his sister as an example for brother-in-law. I reassured him that it was merely for the example and that I am well aware that she is 'way too young for me.'

I’ve just gotten back from a couple of vacations, one the Chaco, the scorching hot, desert-like, north region of Paraguay. This is where the Mennonites like to hang out. We spent the better part of the week (5/7 if you’re into fractions) in the Chaco, mostly on the ranch of my host mom’s dad. Fun was had. It’s relaxing too; when it’s just you, open space, two thousand cattle and other assorted animals. And Sunday I got to participate in an Easter Egg hunt. My little brother may have beaten me in number of eggs, but I still say it’s because I had just woken up, and sleep gunk clouded my otherwise ‘hawk-like’ vision.

The week before Team Paraguay took Buenos Aires by storm, renewing our Visas as well as seeing many of the Porteño sights (Buenos Aires nickname of sorts... its more often used to describe the inhabitants, ie Porteños) from Puente de la Mujer (Woman Bridge), to the Presidential Casa Rosada (yes, the Pink House) to the La Boca neighborhood.

Well, I could be a little more about the detail, but it’s getting dark and I have matters to attend to. So... I hope you enjoyed this blog after my two-month hiatus. Oh, and this is a historic post by the way... I now have as many posts as followers. I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing. I’ll just assume it’s trivial.

No comments:

Post a Comment