Tuesday, December 29, 2009

First of all, shout out to my friend Travis Ray Petersheim. As of December 23 (more or less) is engaged to Allison May Stafford (May is a guess).

As the first decade of the new millennium draws to a close I feel like I need to make some sort of covenant, some sort of pact to make these a great ten years, better myself. I know it comes down to me to make the decision, but I'd appreciate suggestions, comments, ideas, whatever you feel led to do. I'd like to make this an interactive blog, and maybe this is one way to do that.

Some thoughts on my Paraguayan christmas:

I felt awkward at times (normal, don't worry), I felt strangely comfortable in other times. I suppose this represents my comfort level with the culture as well as my extended family. It was more comfort than awkward, which is surprised me, because my family/extended family speaks German. With this its easy for me to feel left out, but the fact that I didn't most of the time speaks to how my family worked to include me.

I think the German Mennonite Christmas is closer to an American Christmas than a Latin American Christmas. For example, Christmas trees aren't that common here, but we for sure had one. It was a must.

I got my first December sunburn. Translation: it's very hot here. Right now it's raining, but it gets up above 100 degrees with alarming frequency and consistency. It's supposed to stay like this all of January, drop off a little in February and March, and then April it gets cooler (or más purete... bad joke. sorry. cuz it means cool in Paraguayan spanish. But cool like James Dean cool).

For Christmas I received a thermos and guampa to go any which way in Paraguay with tereré. This is a big get. Here is what it looks like.


Little ostentatious, but I like it loud... this also helps people sound out Penner correctly... double win.

If you keep tabs on my Facebook profile, you might already know this, but my parents (bless their hearts) sent me a Christmas package. Unfortunately, it is currently in South Africa. Or in transit. Hopefully on its way. Apparently the clerk saw Paraguay, South A. and thought South Africa. In the future, to lower confusion, maybe the best thing to do is fully spell out South America. So if you're thinking of sending me anything (I mean, it might've crossed your mind...) it would go something like this:

Anton Harder
(Para Daniel Penner)
cdc 166, Asunción
Paraguay, South America

I gave away Julian (toy dinosaur that I made in the field museum of Chicago) to my 3 year old host brother. As of 9:37 yesterday morning Julian is decapitated. We are waiting on the super glue.

I definitely appreciate all those who have thought about me and prayed for me these past 3 months. I'm having a really positive experience, but its not always easy. Thanks for supporting me.

Daniel

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your December sunburn, I hope you found some aloe, I'm sure glad I'm not at much risk for sunburn. The thermos and guampa with your name on them, way cool. Also that stinks that your Christmas package is in South Africa. I haven't received any of mine yet either, but I trust that they're en route and not stuck in, oh Estonia or something. As for your covenant, or pact or whatever, my suggestion is...promising to try to learn or do something new everyday. Sorry to hear about Julian, may the super glue arrive swiftly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mouth is hanging open in shock.
    julian is no more.

    this year: tattoo a mustache onto your face. i know you've worked real hard to grow one over the past 10 years.
    just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, Good news, Julian is fixed. He´s been quickly retired as a plaything to shelf ornament.

    Mustache tattoo seems a little tame. This is 2010 Shae!

    Yeah, I like that Rebecca, that´s what I´ve been working on for awhile. It´s been pretty easy here, haha. But its a good thing to remind oneself of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos on using the word ostentatious in everyday speech. That's a big plus 10 on your awesome card. I'm just gonna trust you used it correctly because I'm not totally sure and don't really feel like looking it up right now.

    ReplyDelete